Guaranteed Mortgage Loan Process
The USDA guaranteed mortgage loan process for the is a
little different for the lender but is very much the same for a broker or
consumer. USDA has two types of home loans: the Direct mortgage and the
loans are made by USDA directly and usually/may involve subsidy and
recapture. This program is know to have limited funds due to the subsidy.
Guarantee loans are made by brokers and originators. The loans are
underwritten by USDA-Approved Lenders. There is no subsidy available
so obviously no recapture. Budget Authority funds are much more
plentiful so they are not likely to run out.
This website does not
cover the Direct loan program, only the Guarantee mortgage. The
process is as follows.
- The originator takes the application and determines if the applicant
meets the guidelines and if the property is in a eligible area.
- The package is processed by the broker and sent to the USDA-Approved
Lender that underwrites it. The lender then submits the
underwritten package directly to the Rural Development's local office.
(Lender must use the Origination Package Checklist)
- The R.D. Official will review the package and issue a
"Conditional Commitment for Guarantee" or they will express
a need for additional information within 48 hours.
- When the lender receives the Conditional Commitment they may close
the loan subject to the conditions listed.
- The Conditional Commitment is good for 90 days and may be extended
once for another 90 days. A request must be submitted.
- When the loan is closed the lender uses the final submission check
list and submits the closing package to R.D. alone with the guarantee
- R.D. reviews and issues the Loan Note Guarantee.
The forms you will need as a lender are downloadable from the RD
website. They are very short and simple forms found on page six
If you are a consumer and applying for a guaranteed mortgage most of
the things discussed here will be transparent to you. Your loan is
processed and underwritten just like any other mortgage and takes the same
amount of time.